Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: FCPX metadata--how significant is it? And why?

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Chris HarlanRe: FCPX metadata--how significant is it? And why?
by on Nov 16, 2011 at 7:29:46 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Do you really use the find function all that often? How big are your projects in terms of number of media clips and timelines?"

No, not that much. I'm usually editing instead of data mining. But I do use it fairly regularly to round up sound effects and supplied gfx. My projects can be fairly large since they can involve whole seasons with a variety of permutations.

[Jeremy Garchow] "Here's what happened when I search for footage shot by a particular shooter in a current FCP7 project, and the search took 43 seconds:
"

I'm certainly NOT having problems like that on my 8 core, but I DO admit that it is slow. So, YES--quantitatively faster search.

[Jeremy Garchow] "FCPX is way more fluid and instant, and then tagging those clips is much faster and dynamic "

Okay, I'll buy that.

[Jeremy Garchow] "and you won't have multiple physical copies of the clips in separate bins where the master clip relationship might get screwy"

Can't agree. First, you don't get "multiple physical copies." That is an illusion. And second, you only get new master clips if you go through the process of making them so.

[Jeremy Garchow] "With 7 yes, the clips come up in a "results" bin, and then you can put those clips in yet another bin, but the implementation is no where near as useful and fluid as FCPX."

Now, Jeremy, the few extra keystrokes required to copy all of the contents of one bin and paste them in another is hardly "no where near as useful and fluid as FCPX." Frankly, the fact that, in FCP X, you can't have any kind of permanent bin at all is far more inconvenient than the occasional need to select all and then copy and paste.

[Jeremy Garchow] "Also certain characteristics of makers simply aren't searchable in FCP7, and then once things go in to the timeline, even more of the metadata characteristics become unsearchable. Not so with X.
"

This--like speed above--is the kind of thing I'm looking for. Could you elucidate a bit? What would I WANT to be searching for that I can't search for in FCP 7? This isn't a challenge. It is why I asked the question in the first place.

[Jeremy Garchow] "While yes, "Find" does work in 7, it's slow and inefficient compared to FCPX."

I'm guessing this is a pretty fair criticism of 7 v. X. Of course X HAS to be this way, as the search function is not ancillary--as it is in 7--but basic to its binning structure. With as much time as you've spent in X, do you miss bins at all? Or do you find X's structure superior in most or all regards? I know this is a matter of taste; I'm curious what yours is at this point.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]