Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Might Be An Interesting Read

COW Forums : Decks & VTRs

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bill DavisRe: Might Be An Interesting Read
by on Nov 11, 2011 at 8:43:47 pm

[Herb Sevush] ""This why I think FCS was killed so suddenly. I suspect a long transition was not viable given certain licenses/IP, etc."

Which might make sense except for the fact that, under duress, they put Legacy back on the market. As far as I know they are still selling it thru some channels. If the licensing issues were so problematic in June, how did they resolve them by August?

SNIP

If they had a bunch of unsold product in warehouses wouldn't that have simply fallen under their old licensing agreements? (just guessing as I'm clearly NOT an IIP attorney .) But I *think* it might have been possible that Apple could legally sell anything produced under their existing agreements - making the decision to make Legacy available easy. What they might not have been able to do was produce NEW product if there wasn't a new agreement. That would make some sense.

"[Bill Davis] "I don't know what IP issues were buried in FCP-Legacy. But it would be silly to expect that there weren't some. So the "blank page" beginning makes HUGE sense if you want to go forward with a product that is clear of as much IP baggage as is possible."

(Craigs comment snipped)

Writing your own code from scratch does not in any way inure you to the threat of IP violations. It is the concept that is often at issue not the actual code. Picons in a browser, film strips in a browser, there are a lot of lawyers willing, for a fee, to prove that their is no difference, both are a visual representation of a clip ... blah blah blah.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions"

To my knowledge, nothing can ever insulate anyone from being sued for anything. The key is having the strongest possible defense to the allegations. The act of starting from a blank piece of paper to develop a program might be a pretty good beginning, in my non-professional opinion.

Maybe there was a roomful of lawyers somewhere at Apple reading this very forum and after seeing all the posts about how the FCP-team had "destroyed what FCP-has been" " they grinned ear to ear.

What better evidence that you've "destroyed" the old and created something radically new — than a bunch of "haters" publicly arguing exactly that day after day in open forums.

Be kinda ironic, actually.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]