Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: we're gathered around a very small pond.

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter SoykaRe: we're gathered around a very small pond.
by on Nov 3, 2011 at 4:20:34 pm

[Shawn Miller] "There are millions of folks doing 3D, motion graphics and compositing work... Blender alone claims to have over 2 million downloads a year. I can't even begin to guess how big After Effects' user base is, but I would be willing to believe that it dwarfs the FCP user base."

[Oliver Peters] "And by default the majority of those folks are on PCs."

I'd suggest that 3D for film or effects is predominantly PC, I think you might be surprised by the number of Mac-based 3D/motion graphics studios and freelancers. I don't have hard numbers, but speaking anecdotally, I know way more Mac-based AE and C4D users than PC-based ones.

Since apps like these render on the CPU, a well-equipped Mac Pro has been a reasonable and cost-effective choice for a lot of this work, especially for motion graphics with relatively low polygon counts where Mac's subpar GPU options don't hurt viewport performance too badly as they would for film, effects, or games.

My question is this: of the Mac-based graphics shops (like mine), how many will stay on Macs?

In my article FCPX and the Domino Effect [link], I wrote about how I built my business on Macs with FCP editorial and stayed on Macs even as I did more graphics work. Now, without FCP keeping me on the Mac platform, I'm evaluating PC workstations.

I doubt I'm alone.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS