Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: DaVinci Resolve 8.1 -- now with FCPXML roundtrip support

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jeremy GarchowRe: DaVinci Resolve 8.1 -- now with FCPXML roundtrip support
by on Oct 19, 2011 at 7:57:21 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "As Walter kindly pointed out on my behalf, my point was to try and establish that the development cycle for FCPX has seemingly already been a fairly lengthy one ..."

But MY point is that even though they look the same, they aren't. Sure they might have the same look and feel, but they aren't the same application or code base.

Imagine building a full size working model out of painted balsa wood, then having to remake it in steel, even though the product has the same veneer (paint), they are totally different. It takes a while to go from working model to production.

[Simon Ubsdell] "I am an enthusiastic fan (yes, I can be a fan too!) of the relatively new 3D application called Modo. It's made by what appears to be a pretty tiny company that just happen to be passionate about what they do - and who incidentally are making a genuinely outstanding and beautifully designed product. (I have no financial or other interest in the product or the company.)

With their relatively limited resources they manage to turn out major updates pretty much once a year and the latest version (Modo 501) released last Xmas is currently on its fifth Service Pack - yup, that's right SP5!"

That's what this guy is saying: http://digitalcomposting.wordpress.com/2011/06/28/x-vs-pro/

You want your tools to come from people who's life depends on your buying their software. It's a blessing and a curse, really.

In 3 months, FCPX had two releases, the launch, then .1 with a .2 or whatever they are going to call it, in another 6 months or less.

FCP 7.0.2 came out in March of 2010, 7.0.3 in September 2010.

[Simon Ubsdell] "My point, which I have finally arrived at by a circuitous route, is that I don't see Apple working at this sort of rate of development with this product. Conversely, I do see a company like Adobe pushing the barriers of what is possible in ways that are truly breath-taking ... for example with innovations like this:"

I'm not being snide, but if Adobe is impressing you with their demos, then what are you still doing here?

Adobe has made a conscious effort to live out loud. Apple has never done that. There is no right or wrong way, just different. Just because Apple doesn't talk doesn't mean they aren't developing, just because Adobe shows previews doesn't mean that it's going to work like the cool demos. Two companies, two plans, two styles. Let's not forget, Adobe is a huge publicly traded company as well.

[Simon Ubsdell] "OK, so FCPX is going to move on and we may well not have seen the half of it yet - but is it really moving fast enough in today's world?"

I leave you with this:

Jeremy

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]