Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: The Position Tool Does Not Disable Ripple Mode - Here's Why

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

David LawrenceRe: The Position Tool Does Not Disable Ripple Mode - Here's Why
by on Oct 10, 2011 at 8:20:12 pm

[Steve Connor] "David, gap behaviour is perfectly logical and not a bug at all."

Watch the video again. Just lifting and dropping the gap with the Position Tool causes the the clip to the immediate right to be swallowed. Why? Because the timeline is rippling under the lifted gap. If the Position Tool automatically creates gaps when you move a clip object, why wouldn't it also create gaps when you move a gap object? To my mind, this is inconsistent behavior.

[Steve Connor] "It would be illogical for FCPX to have behaviour where when you move or edit a gap, another gap is created! "

Why?

[Steve Connor] "Not true, Shift delete deletes the clip and leaves a gap automatically..."

Sure, but technically shift-delete is replace with gap. It's the opposite of FCP7 but I can adapt -- not that big a deal.

[Steve Connor] "...you do not have to manage the gaps at all, you don't have to touch them, you don't have to create them."

I find this to be untrue. Gaps are objects. You have to deal with them. If you want to extend open space to the right of a gap, you have to trim forward from the gap tail. Something you could easily accomplish in FCP7 with T or TTT and a quick drag. Or Try applying a cross dissolve at the head of a clip. In FCP7 the dissolve begins at the head of the clip. In FCPX the dissolve centers between the gap and the clip. There's currently no easy way to start the cross dissolve at transition end.

I realize that FCPX provides other tools to accomplish the same goals. But as long as gaps are objects, you have to deal with them. My $.02

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]