Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: XML from FCP 7 to open in X

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Douglas K. DempseyRe: XML from FCP 7 to open in X
by on Sep 29, 2011 at 1:49:58 am

Guys:

Tell me if I am missing something in my over-simplification that follows:

Apple themselves have admitted that trying to XML/translate from FCP7 to FCPX won't work without losing data. That makes sense; think of all the tracks, plug-in effects and other subtleties that won't translate to the trackless, simplified FCPX. Meanwhile, how to translate limited metadate from FCP7 and create all the metadata and "events" of the FCPX workflow?

As Walter Biscardi has said in his recent article, if you have a big archive of important FCP7 projects, forget about FCPX. You can count on using a legacy FCP7 system, or translating the projects to Premiere Pro which he thinks is similar enough to preserve & implement most info of your FCP7 project. Forget ever importing complex FCP7 projects into FCPX intact.

MORE IMPORTANT in my mind is going the other way! All the new workflows that people are talking about -- shoot with DSLR or HD smartphones, edit on MacBook Air (and eventually iPad we assume) with FCPX -- this may be the future of ENG, at least in journalistic hot spots. Post to the web and you're done.

BUT sometimes you will want to take your FCPX material and import it into FCP7 or PP or Avid -- THAT would be useful. Say you work fast and dirty in FCPX, post your results, but on this ocassion you want the results for use in a more complex, track-assigned, heavily plugged-in, multiple monitor, broadcast-standard FCP7 or PP system? You will want to go XML OUT of FCPX, and XML IN to FCP7 -- and have the (presumably) third-party translation app create your locked tracks, effects, transitions, perhaps even use the metadata & events info to create a series of bins and so on.

Doug D

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]