Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: macbook air and fcpx- the new portable edit suite

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter SoykaRe: macbook air and fcpx- the new portable edit suite
by on Sep 27, 2011 at 1:21:48 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "It's hard to sum up as there are so many aspects, but I have read on this forum how X's interface is "dumbed down" and therefore by that definition must be inferior. While I don't think it's ready for primetime, I do not think it is dumbed down, actually I think it's more complex because it is "doing more for you" even though that control is limited at the moment."

I don't think "dumbed down" is synonymous with "easier to use," though I think it is practically synonymous with "easy to learn."

The limited control you mentioned is the problem -- is FCPX sacrificing ease of use for ease of learning?

[Jeremy Garchow] "Call me crazy, but I like iTunes. Is it bad that I'm okay with FCPx being a little like iTunes?"

Agreed! I like that Apple uses concepts and interfaces like smart collections consistently across all their apps. I think that smart collections are pretty easy to use, and since they're consistent across the platform, they're easier to learn. If you learn them in iTunes, you know them in Mail, Aperture, and FCPX.

[Jeremy Garchow] "All of that is pretty damn complex, and also does not resemble any Apple app that I am aware of. It also attempts to explain a trackless timeline, and the parent/child relationship in the new XML. If all of this is what is ultimately intended by Apple there is probably really good reason that Apple did not unleash this level of complexity at once. Mostly, it protects them as they release functions little by little to make sure they are working, and perhaps wait for certain Operating System functions to complete. As a result, it allows users to learn the language step by step before total immersion."

You've outlined some very cool ideas that could be possible with FCPX, but are they really likely?

Aperture has added features, but the core function and interface of the application is largely unchanged since its initial release. Same with Motion, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote.

All of these apps represent Apple's interpretation or re-interpretation of what an app in their category should be. I think Apple already has a very good idea of what they want FCPX to be, and if history is any guide, the feel and structure of the app is already pretty much in place.

As for your feature suggestions, I hope you submit them [link]! Apple would do very well to listen to your ideas.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter