Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: I guess it's So Long and Thanks for all the Fish!

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Dominic DeaconRe: I guess it's So Long and Thanks for all the Fish!
by on Sep 7, 2011 at 12:34:09 am

[Craig Seeman] "Eight months is a long time."

No, I was saying that I'll be editing this feature for the next 8 months, not in 8 months time. That's how long it will take me as the footage will be drip fed.

I'm not sure what the realities are of being a professional editor in the broadcast world are as I've never even been to such a facility. I've edited 2 features and a few corporate videos for Hospitals, bars etc. and found that if you're just using your machine as a picture editor a cheap PC is all you need. Even AVCHD footage doesn't seem to push my system at all. Picture editing is all I do. At the end of the job everything gets farmed out to the sound guy and whoever is doing colour.

My decision on what to do was in the made for me by my DP who is more a part of that industry. He laughed when I told what people were telling me I needed and showed me what he was doing on his little PC laptop. This is a color grading tutorial he put together in Edius on that laptop that impressed the hell out of me: http://www.vimeo.com/28084356

When you're used to FCP7 labouring it's way through tasks on a desktop seeing someone get that kind of real time performance on a laptop is incredible and really shows how far behind the eight ball Apple was before they pulled out FCPX. And now with my work flows, simple as they are, they're not even in the game anymore.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]