Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: I guess it's So Long and Thanks for all the Fish!

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter SoykaRe: I guess it's So Long and Thanks for all the Fish!
by on Sep 6, 2011 at 4:25:39 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Just so we are comparing apples-to-apples, so to speak, this is a consumer-level (or gamer) machine and really shouldn't be compared on even footing with a Mac Pro. You should look into the Z series workstations on HP's small-to-medium business site if you want a production-oriented, robust machine."

I don't know how careful we need to be about comparing apples to apples anymore. Sometimes an orange will do just fine.

One of the points I tried to make in a recent thread [link] is that video editors used to need a workstation just to do basic editorial tasks like play broadcast-quality video in real-time.

Modern consumer-grade machines have advanced to the point where they can handle many editorial tasks -- just look at all the editors cutting HD on iMacs. Mr. Kelly's machine certainly doesn't compare with the power, flexibility, or engineering of a Mac Pro or HP Z-series workstation, but I think it does compare with an iMac.

The way that his machine with Premiere Pro can use CUDA on NVIDIA cards also shows the increasing importance of GPU co-processing, and highlights a new way to get big performance increases without big cost increases. We've never had this many options before.

That said, I'd certainly agree with your general advice, which I think boils down to "you get what you pay for."

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
+4
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS