Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: my guess to what will happen to the suite

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Stephan WalfridssonRe: my guess to what will happen to the suite
by on May 4, 2011 at 10:00:50 am

[Craig Seeman] "I think all those, except the most rash, claiming to jump ship are really waiting and that's EXACTLY what Apple wanted to happen, given major purchase decision are made as a result of NAB. Apple put the jumpers on hold IMHO."

Very true.

It's quite funny how divided our initial response to this sneek peak has been. Some see the proverbial glass as half empty and others as half full. Everybody speculating wildly as we don't really know anything except that the flavor of what is in the glass is new and presumably "improved". Probably to the taste of some and disgust of others.

Some here on the Cow really give Apple the benefit of the doubt, others just doubt. My personal point of view is that I've seen Apple release shiny, innovative, gorgeous things before that were in many ways lacking in features compared to the competition. Just think of the iPhone, a truly new way of thinking of a mobile phone (well some had thought of similar ideas before but Apple obviously set the standard). But the first iPhone was not top of the line in features or specs. The camera sucked, no 3g, lousy batterylife and much more. And they are still behind in many areas. Yet A LOT of people bought it and keep buying the new iPhones, including me. Apple with all their marketing wisdom were able to make the iPhone a success story despite all of it's shortcomings. It's actually what they are really good at, isn't it?

I think FCPX looks very promising, 64 bit and background rendering are things that I'll really appreciate. But I don't think that Apple has discovered the holy grail of editing when creating FCPX, and I am convinced that many things that were present in FCS3 will be missing, and missed by a lot of people. Building new software from the ground up is difficult and many features will have been pushed way down on their list of priorities. Some will even be gone forever because they don't make business sense to Apple. And history shows that they have no qualms about skipping features or killing apps if it makes business sense to them.

Some things will reappear in future updates, but software as complex as FCP and the other studio Apps aren't easy to update every 3-6 months or so. Bug fixes sure, but not adding major features. Beta testing and development takes a lot of time. The AppStore distribution model isn't that different from the software updates that we are used too. And we all know how hesitant we are to install those.

Stephan

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]