Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
APPLE FINAL CUT PRO:HomeFCP ForumFCP XFCPX TechniquesFCP TutorialsFC ServerBasics ForumPodcastFAQ

Re: Apple Posts New Videos Comparing FCPX to Adobe & Avid

COW Forums : Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

alex schwindtRe: Apple Posts New Videos Comparing FCPX to Adobe & Avid
by on Jul 22, 2011 at 10:54:44 pm

I'm actually with Peter on this. Apple should have released these videos on Day One. They do a much better job of communicating their vision for editing than anything that's come before. (and you have to give them some credit for lumping their own FCP 7 in with Avid and Premiere)

I've been a full-time filmmaker who's been using FCP for years. I'll be the first to admit that when FCP X was released I immediately got busy learning Premiere CS5.5. Adobe's really gotten it's act together with Premiere, and at this point I'm not sure I'd go back to FCP 7 even if it was re-released today. Premiere is just so much faster and more powerful.

Having said that, after spending a couple of days with FCP X I'm starting to get what Apple is thinking with this. A fellow filmmaker and I spent most of today messing around with it and we had a blast! We even purposely shot some "problem footage" with a DSLR just to see how FCP X would handle it. Again, we were impressed.

I'll agree that it might not be ready for the big leagues (we crashed it once just doing a color correction). The idea of editing a 90-minute project with FCP X makes me nervous, and while I dig the color tools the absence of Colorista II is definitely a bummer. Probably me biggest hang-up with it is they way they completely abandoned standard terminology. It's going to be hard to communicate with other filmmakers if "project" doesn't mean "project".

So I'm going to keep kicking the tires some more. I have a number of short-form projects coming up that this might be perfect for. The problem is that I don't have tons of spare time to keep learning new editors. At some point I'm going to need to start developing some muscle memory with one weapon-of-choice editor...

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]