Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Editing Monitor doubling as field monitor

COW Forums : Field Production

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Nick GriffinRe: Editing Monitor doubling as field monitor
by on Mar 5, 2012 at 6:33:14 pm

Scott-
One of the few times we disagree. After a few years of shooting with the 17" FSI, for me it's the only way to go. First of all it's not a 24" or larger monitor so it's not that heavy or difficult to pack up and take with us. Second, features including the IRE scope; the side-by-side picture comparison which, using playback from the camera, enables us to see the live shot beside any previous shot; the 4x3 protection overlay and the 1:1 pixel mode for doing critical focus without being on top of the camera are too useful to be without.

As to risk, it's a $2,500 monitor. If it were more, I might feel differently. We also mount it on a rolling C-stand so it can roll along with dolly shots when needed. In an ideal world (also known as "when I grow up") I probably will have a large monitor which stays in the edit suite and a 9" for the field -- provided it has the full FSI feature set. But for now I like having a real monitor on shoots.

And to re-address the original post, how realistic is it to get the gamma and other things set to turn a Dell computer monitor into a realistic -- and informative -- field monitor? If anything there's the case where travel vibration, etc. will reek havoc. (IMHO.)

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]