Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Lighting for a Sitcom

COW Forums : Field Production

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

William KampRe: Lighting for a Sitcom
by on Jan 19, 2011 at 6:21:07 pm

First. I'm not entirely sure how to respond to Bill. I suppose that yes, you do become an "expert" in whatever field you are in after many many years of doing that particular position and positions relating to it within the department or field. However, I also subscribe to the view that experience does not breed talent, and talent is something that I do possess (I'll play the ego stroking game. Ha.) With these two views, I am aiming to gain experience for my talent by doing something I believe you too still do Bill, and that is asking questions to this very day... In the field and on forums such as this great one.

Now, maybe I am confused as to what a DP does. Both yours and Tom's have given me an identity crisis (Joke :D) Hahaha. Anyway, I have a crew, 3 cameramen, Key Grip, Lead Gaff.... But I am the DP, they are apart of my crew, shouldnt I first have an overall idea of how I'm going to light the room? Shouldnt I pick the equipment used? Isnt that why my title has "Director" in front of it and they are apart of "my" crew? Or Am I being too micromanaging and should only worry about general look and not fuddle with equipment? I thought a DP painted with light, picked the lights, gels, and a Gaffer just worried about actually putting up the lights. I thought the DP had to have an idea of whether or not he could even put lights in that location under the circumstances of the shoot?

Tom you are correct, this is a "free" set, sizzle reel, but I know that this set gets me my next job, and I am sinking some of my own money in this because, if nothing else, it is a reel builder where I dont have to pay any crew and I get to show my talents, so why not pay for some of the equipment I want to use?

Anyway I would appreciate your opinion on both you're views of a Cinematographer and how I should light this room.

Much Appreciated and Humbly Yours

Will

P.S. Tom, Did you work on Year of the Quarterback Kick-off special? I worked on there as an AC/Cam Op as well. You're name sounds familiar and I know we filmed Elway for the show.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]