Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: encoding TV-spec H264 files

COW Forums : Digital Delivery

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

David JohnsonRe: encoding TV-spec H264 files
by on Nov 28, 2010 at 2:49:36 am

Thanks much for the helpful info, Chad. To clarify ...

[Chad Brewer] "Wrong, there are standards."

I understand your point, but I mean "standards" in the traditional sense of the word ... specs that "vary incredibly between every single ..." just don't seem particularly "standard".

[Chad Brewer] "Quicktime will play a white screen playing certain MPEG2 content unless you purchase the MPEG2 plug-in for Quicktime from Apple for $20."

I read at least two posts that said (and I, therefore, believed) that the white screen is because QT can't play MPG2 even with the plugin ... I'll try the plugin, thanks, although the people in those posts said they already did.

[Chad Brewer] "There is. It's called spending money." ... "If you can't afford that, you shouldn't expect to be delivering to Extreme Reach and DG for broadcast distribution."

I appreciate your input, Chad, but no need to condescend. I thought I mentioned that, rather than just what a large international firm's agency can afford, it's a matter of workflow impracticality of multiple programs and workflows for each of many delivery mediums (with HDTV, SDTV, DVD, multiple web, devices, etc., already too many links) and very restrictive IT for edit suite workstations tied to a tightly secured network.

[Chad Brewer] "There are no OS or NLE provided programs or free downloads that allow you to do "high profile" encoding to meet digital delivery specs."

I didn't ask for OS or NLE provided programs or free downloads ... each software I mentioned is purchased ... I'm simply asking if it's possible to encode TV-spec files with any of them, which seems a reasonable expectation being that they each can encode H264 and MPG2. Sorenson even has a prest called "DG FastChannel", though it's not consistent with the specs on the DG spec sheet.

Thanks again.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]