Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Trouble choosing a mixer for video soundtrack editing

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Antony ChristieTrouble choosing a mixer for video soundtrack editing
by on Aug 25, 2012 at 5:06:40 pm

Hi

I'm looking to buy a mixer for my home studio that will stand the test of time, but there are so many options I'm a bit overwhelmed.

I run Media Composer 6 and Pro Tools 10 on an early 2009 8-core Mac Pro through a MBox2 Mini to a set of Yamaha NS-10Ms powered by a Servo-170 amplifier (although, despite updating the Mbox's drivers and LED coming back on it doesn't appear to be working; sound coming from mac pro tower internal speakers at present, but that's a separate matter), and recently, also straight out of the mac's audio out to a set of M-Audio Studiophile AV30 active speakers .

I want to be able to mix my audio using the NS10s and listen to my end products, music and everything else through the AV30s, and swap without having to rewire leads every time.

As well as editing the audio for my videos I record voice-overs and I'm always looking to improve my workflow.

I recently bought a Yamaha MG102c mixer (£99), recommended by Peter Knowles in The Iris magazine (a creativevideo.co.uk publication). However, a DJ friend visited to give the mixer a once-over and was very unimpressed with the amount of bleed between channels, so I sent it back. My friend recommended the Behringer Eurorack UB1204-PRO (£99) which looks perfect, other than the fact it has no USB, but I'm not sure if I'll need this as the MBox2 Mini gives me USB connectivity. That aside, the PROFX8 Mixer (£199) is attractive because it has USB or perhaps I should invest in the Onyx 820i mixer with firewire (£299).

I'm also unsure as to whether I should be investing in a soundcard so that I've got a better quality output from my Mac.

Cheers
toe-knee

2 x Sony NEX-FS100E's
Mac Pro (early 2009) 2 x 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon "Nehalem" processors, 12GB of 1066MHz DDR3 ECC memory, 2 x NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512MB GDDR3 memory. Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4.
Avid Media Composer 6.0.1, Pro Tools 10,

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]