Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Soundboard to Zoom H4n: Attenuator or DI Box?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Michael KoehlerSoundboard to Zoom H4n: Attenuator or DI Box?
by on Apr 4, 2012 at 12:40:19 am

I soon will be recording a live event by (1) taking a feed from the soundboard into the Zoom H4n's inputs, and (2) using the H4n's internal mics to capture the PA mix from the "sweet spot" of the room. I then can mix these tracks together in post.

Regarding the feed from the soundboard into the H4n's inputs: I have read that it is necessary to use either an attenuator, such as the Shure A15AS, or a DI Box, such as the Behringer D120, to "bridge the gap" between a soundboard's professional line-level output (+4dBu) and the H4n's consumer line-level input (-10dBV). As I understand it, both "in between" solutions are also useful for "converting" a line-level output to the H4n's mic-level XLR input.

Are these assumptions correct? And if so, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each approach? Is it better to use an attenuator or a DI Box to get the job done?

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]