Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Microphone recommendation

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jordan WolfRe: Microphone recommendation
by on Jan 10, 2011 at 3:32:49 pm

The best way to combat feedback is through proper mic placement and selection AND proper speaker placement and selection. Their interaction will determine much about how stable a system is.

A good microphone will have better and more-uniform rejection off-axis, so feedback will be much less of an issue. I recommend a hypercardioid pattern or supercardioid pattern. Just make sure the people speaking keep within 1 inch of the grill.

A good speaker, likewise, will have better control over it;s polar pattern. Depending on the room, one specific dispersion pattern (90x60, 75x75, etc.) may be more appropriate than another. If you can get the speakers out from behind the microphone, many of your problems will be solved. If you need to fly (hang) the boxes, don't do it yourself. If they fall and hurt/kill someone, YOU are liable for it. Only boxes that are meant to be flown should be flown - and NEVER, EVER, EVER FLY THEM BY THE HANDLES. (Sorry, it's a touchy topic where there is no room for dispute - safety is always first).

Now, for the install itself: basically, you want to make the system as easy to use as possible while providing only enough end user control to enable them to do what they need to. How you go about this is entirely dependent on the budget you have to work with and the time/skills you possess.

I guess what I'm trying to get across is that a sound system install, even a small one, is not necessarily an easy thing to take on. There are many variables that you must consider, some you might not even have though of.

That said, I recommend bringing this topic up on another forum that is better-suited to dealing with such things. You'll have to register and use your real name, but it is the best source of web info and advice for your question. I'm on there, too, and you can look me up by my user name: howlingwolf487.

Good luck!

Wolf
<><

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]