Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Prep mix for broadcast?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Joe BenderPrep mix for broadcast?
by on Aug 18, 2010 at 8:24:52 pm

Hi All,

I'm in a tricky situation and could really use some help on this. My documentary Capital recently got picked up by a distributor, who needed a new cut of the film. My collaborator and I made a TV-hour cut and re-mixed the audio for the new cut with our sound editor in ProTools. Unfortunately we mixed it to 0db, rather than the -6db that the distributor needs for broadcast. The editor at the distributor suggested reducing the levels in dubs for broadcast clients - unacceptable, as I see it, since there are some very quiet passages in the film that would be rendered inaudible - or running it through a limiter to bring the levels down. Apparently that can produce some distortion though, which I'd rather avoid if possible. So my question is this: what is the best way, short of re-mixing the whole film (the sound editor is out of the country for the next month) to get the levels to -6db for broadcast? The possibilities, as I see them, are these:

Limiter: what are the risks? What's the best/a good one to use? Is this something I can do myself as a solid video editor but no audio expertise, or should I eat the cost and go to a studio? The distributor's post house has also offered to do this for us; should I again swallow the cost and have them do it? As I see it that would be a less desirable solution, as I wouldn't be in the room and would have little/no control over the process.

ProTools: is there any way to bounce the audio from ProTools with the max level set to -6db? Would this be any different from reducing the levels/using a limiter?

Something else? I'm sure there are tools out there that I'm not aware of, since I'm a dabbler at best in audio.

So what do you think? I'm pretty lost here, so any help will be enormously appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,

Joe

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]