Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: recording a classical guitar performance

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Alf HannaRe: recording a classical guitar performance
by on Jun 18, 2010 at 7:52:08 am

The question of what guitar to buy means you have to clearly understand what music you are playing. Classical is a totally different bag than bluegrass or swing, and there is no one right answer. It's been my impression that you will never get *real* acoustic sound once you put on a pickup. But what you do get might be just fine (listen to Willie Nelson, for example). It's just that the style you play may work just fine with a pickup.

I was recorded for our band in the leading acoustic recording studio in the Pacific NW, http://www.davidlangestudios.com/

David is considered the premier recording studio engineer up here for acoustic recording. He mic'ed me with dual Sennheiser 914's coming at the sound hole from two directions. The sound, coupled with my very expensive custom mandolin, made my talent the only limiting factor. I would say that it wouldn't / shouldn't matter whether the mics are in the video, if the quality of the sound is the goal. Especially given that a decent classical guitar (or any really high end guitar) will likely be made of something like Rosewood, Mahogany or Koa, and it seems to me that you want to capture that *tone* coming out of the hole as quickly as possible. Post processing is likely to make the sound better. On the other hand, I've captured excellent audio with a Zoom on a stage stand about 3 feet away. Again, the instrument in the hands of a master in the right hall/room will allow you a bit of latitude. Worth investigating, FWIW...best of luck!

Alf

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]