Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Re: From FCP to PP - Questions from an editor ready for the jump!

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jon HisemanRe: From FCP to PP - Questions from an editor ready for the jump!
by on May 30, 2012 at 11:20:58 am

[FCP legacy has always been great for us in that it is actually very quick and simple to create visual effects, do simple overlays/compositing on the fly, all in as part of the main editorial process. This is often a requirement for the kind of work we do.]

This is the most interesting issue for me. Premiere Pro is very poor at doing even simple composites. In FCP I was able to identify 8+ areas on a clip, isolate them, re-grade them and blend them into a convincing whole in 30 mins. Impossible in PPro. The system was so simple; duplicate the clip above the original / sandwich a gradient in between, change the blend mode of the top clip and regrade it. The gradient had simple controls to isolate a portion of the clip. The killer part was that these could be stacked. I have had 15 of these sets of 3 tracks stacked in no time at all.

After Effects is an awesome piece of software but its slow at that level and, working between 3 locations, I have had endless problems with the round trip using Dynamic Link. Even with CS6 it does not work because of the fundamental path relationship with the file hierarchy.
Pro Tools solved this problem in the mid 90s burying a unique long identifying number in every region(clip). With thousands of regions, they never go missing for long, however you abuse the file system - and a clip thats been inadvertently moved will be automatically found in the background while you work. Adobe know about the PT solution because I spoke with an Adobe demonstrator at a recent CS6 Demo. He says it was being looked into and hopefully would be incorporated in 'some future upgrade.' Not good enough I'm afraid. If Adobe are certain that the round trip is the way forward, it has to be bulletproof - at the very least, by 10am next Tuesday morning.

I used to be Jon Hiseman but I'm feeling better now.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]