Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Re: Best format to compress raw T2i footage to for editing?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Walter SoykaRe: Best format to compress raw T2i footage to for editing?
by on Apr 27, 2012 at 9:31:43 pm

[Victor Lin] "It's pointless to work buku extra hours to make video 4x the quality that YouTube is capable of, just to have YouTube decrease the quality to it's own level anyway."

It's not pointless. Working with the highest level of quality possible throughout the production process ensures the best-looking deliverables.

If you recompress your camera originals, edit, then export, you will have at least two additional generations of compression (possibly three if YouTube recompresses your content yet again). You lose quality at each stage, similar to making a copy of a copy of an analog video tape, but a copy of a good tape is still better than a copy of a bad tape.

Compressing your originals also limits your flexibility for color correction, keying, and effects.

[Victor Lin] "Just like we never shoot in RAW for our photo shoots, since the images will only ever be printed to 8x10 inches max and JPG is just fine for that."

Shooting RAW versus JPEG isn't about retaining quality; it's about retaining flexibility. Shooting JPEG does all the processing in-camera; shooting RAW lets you handle the processing separately, after the fact.

If you're sacrificing flexibility for speed, I think you run the risk of lowering quality in the triangle.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter