Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Re: Contemplating a switch from Mac to PC?

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Keith MoreauRe: Contemplating a switch from Mac to PC?
by on Dec 3, 2011 at 6:25:08 am

Tom,

Thanks for the honest reply.

I am so entrenched in Apple stuff that it would be hard for me to switch. At the same time, if Apple doesn't come out with a new Mac Pro soon (I hear it will be after the next 'Xeons' are available from Intel), I may have no choice but to switch, at least for Video editing, to Windows / PC. I have heard a lot about the 'bad hyper threading' on the Mac vs Windows. Maybe you could point me to a reputable source for this info, as mostly I've seen it on Premiere Pro related forums from PPro PC users but not a lot to back it up in the Mac / PC general development community. (I have a software development background as well.) Not that I don't believe it, but I would like to see some proof of it, and not just that it might be hard for Adobe to make Premiere perform on the Mac as well because of their common code base. And even if it is not Apple, but Adobe, that doesn't really matter, because if the software is faster on a Windows machine, that's the way it is.

I have even thought about using VMWare Fusion on a Windows PC to run Lion and the Apple stuff I need, but when I need IRON I use the Windows PC, a total role reversal from what I do now. (Fusion to run necessary Windows Apps.)

And since you're on the same Mac as me, if you get anything modern, I would suspect you'll get way more than 30% boost, maybe more like 500%. Probably after NAB there will be better Multi-processing Intels out so you'll get even more of a boost. It's very, very tempting. By that time if Apple doesn't have a new Mac Pro, I'm there with you.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]