Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
ADOBE PREMIERE PRO:HomeTutorialsForumArticlesPodcastsBasics ForumCreative Cloud Debate

Re: Premiere Pro equivalent to "Quicktime Reference File"

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread


Keith MoreauRe: Premiere Pro equivalent to "Quicktime Reference File"
by on Feb 13, 2011 at 2:01:42 am

OK, more tests. DVCPro HD P2 as the preview file format / export format didn't help the encoding time at all, in fact it was 30% slower than Prores. I also made sure my 'use max render quality' matched both the sequence preview file setting and the output encoder setting. It didn't make a difference whether I used preview files or not. The encoding time did vary greatly based on the use Max Render Quality Setting, about twice as long with that setting on.

So, at least in my preliminary findings, there really isn't a way to speed up encoding by using preview files, therefore I don't think preview file setting is important at all. I think I'll go back to using the MPEG I-Frame format as I think that's probably the most efficient for PPRo to deal with (though who knows.)

I think this is a great room for improvement here to help with encoding times. I think PPro needs the equivalent or even on the Mac platform, use the concept of Quicktime reference file. I was reminded how useful and space efficient they could be when today I helped a fellow filmmaker encode a 720P video for Youtube upload. We exported the Quicktime reference file in about 15 seconds, and then sent that to Compressor and used a "Cluster" to max out the CPUs and it took about 10 minutes to encode a 6 minute video. My feeling is that PPro / Media Encoder would take about 4 times longer than that. (though probably output better quality.)

I'm still going to keep searching for a workflow where I can somehow make this encoding process more efficient, short of upgrading my CPU. I'm still not convinced that the GPU is being used in encoding, but I'll probably do some more tests with the GPU off, if that is possible (setting MPE to not use the GPU).

If anybody has any more advice for me, please let me know and thanks to Tim and others for your suggestions.


Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook


Current Message Thread:




LOGIN TO REPLY



FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]