Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: NEX-FS100 White Balance, timecode, and lens questions

COW Forums : Sony NXCAM

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Don HertzRe: NEX-FS100 White Balance, timecode, and lens questions
by on Jul 3, 2011 at 8:24:33 pm

John, in my use so far it does feel pretty awkward. It's heavy enough to one side that I find it difficult to even temporarily hand hold with a single hand using the side grip and keep the shot level. Something I got pretty good at with the EX1. Also the EX1 was just long enough that I could semi-prop the end of it on my shoulder a bit while filming and still have the LCD monitor in front of my eye. That's not possible with the base FS100 - you'll have to hold it steady out in front of you. I tend to hold it more like a still camera - right hand on the grip and left hand supporting and steadying the lens. That seems to work well but wears the arm out pretty quick. We also have a shoulder bracket from an older camera that fits it so I'll try that out on the next hand held shoot. I'm sure most people will use it with a shoulder mount when trying to go handheld anyway.

The microphone mount on the top seems to work OK for a top handle but I'm concerned about its longevity. It feels like plastic and is held on by a single screw. Time will tell.

The nice thing is the camera is made to be very modular. There are holes to bolt things on all over it. So I'm sure its only a matter of time before there's a large selection of better crafted mounts, handles, and lenses to choose from.

One last note - I used the FS100 with the stock lens in full auto last week for a twenty minute hand held walkthrough of a museum, following two presenters with constant pans back and forth from them to various displays as they walked and talked. It performed very well. It did feel to me though (and this is by no means a scientific test) that the auto-focus took longer to adjust from distance to distance than our EX1.

Hope some of this information is useful.

Don Hertz
AC Media

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]