Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: @Adam Corey

COW Forums : Facilis

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Adam CoreyRe: @Adam Corey
by on Jun 11, 2012 at 4:05:08 pm

I don't work on long form so I really can't give a fair comparison there, I do know a few shops that use DS for long form and like it. My only experience using Smoke On Mac for a long form online is a couple of 20 min short films that we brought a freelance smoke editor in to online from a FCP 7 Xml.

I agree that the DS does have some great tools and the ability to container and tree composite on the same clip (s) is great. Had I felt Avid was behind the product I most likely would've gone that direction. The fact that they haven't done a new release in almost 2 years and according to the Avid website still ship it with MC 5, makes me wonder how much they plan on putting into the product in future years. There still may be hope for DS, but recent history has seen minor upgrades at long intervals.

"so do you really want to have the work you can do be limited by your tools? I can't afford to limit myself like that"

I agree that you can't limit yourself based on a box, I'm a firm believer in using the tool that is best suited for the project be it AfterFx, Avid, DS, FCP, Motion or Smoke or any combination (which is often the case). When I purchased our initial Smoke systems 2 years ago the price point between a Smoke/FCP and DS/Avid combo was negligible. I knew DS very well and could have jumped on it with out any learning curve, we could still do 80-90% our work on it, but I felt and still feel that Autodesk is committed to not only Smoke but also committed to making Smoke fit into the workflow of small boutiques like ourselves. So happy "DS'ing" it sounds like it fits your needs and workflow perfectly and I hope that Avid continues to keep it a viable solution.

Adam Corey
DC Collective
Design - Edit - Create
http://www.dccollective.tv

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy