Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: @Adam Corey

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Adam CoreyRe: @Adam Corey
by on Jun 9, 2012 at 5:33:42 pm

This is what I don't get - with all of the hype that Smoke is getting, shouldn't Avid be touting DS, saying, "Yeah, we've had editing & node based compositing in one app for years. Welcome to the party - and our product is already tested & stable!"

It would have been great to see something like that. I realize that Avid has a large user base that's familiar with the Symphony interface. When they were still doing R&D on DS the implementation of the MC/Symphony timeline made it (at least in my mind) easy enough for any Avid editor to jump on a DS and start working. Composting, FX, ect might have taken a bit longer to learn but it's like that with any system, you learn the basics and then you learn the rest "by doing".

However, I can't complain about the cross-grade promo to Symphony from FCP. We just purchased 2 (will possibly get a 3rd before the promo is over) so that our Smoke rooms can be run as a Symphony should we get a freelance editor who's not familiar with Smoke. I'd much prefer that every project be done from start to finish in Smoke but the user base is still a bit small in the DC area. Perhaps Autodesk will start to offering training sessions for qualified freelancers (those with recommendations from current Smoke owners) so we can say, "guess we should've bought a thunderbolt raid instead". It's a $2,000 loss I'd be happy to take.

I've only had a cursory look at Smoke 2013 but I can tell you we don't regret purchasing the current Smoke on Mac over DS 2 years ago (we started with 2 systems and recently added a 3rd). DS was like an old girlfriend, comfortable, steady and we knew what we were gettting. Smoke was the sexy girl down the hall that we thought was out of our league until the Mac version came along. The learning curve for media management and FX was initially steep (both of which seem to be addressed in 2013) but we're very happy with the support and improvements we've seen from Autodesk, especially after getting off to a rocky start with a reseller that didn't have the infrastructure to support Smoke on Mac, Autodesk stepped in and took care of us. I'm not saying other manufacturers might not have done the same, but I think it speaks volumes to the commitment Autodesk has for advancing and supporting Smoke on Mac for small boutiques like ourselves. All that to say we're excited to see the new version and happy we made the switch.

Adam Corey
DC Collective
Design - Edit - Create
http://www.dccollective.tv

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy