Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: @Shawn Larkin

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Brendan DillonRe: @Shawn Larkin
by on May 30, 2012 at 11:52:56 am

I'd go for the flattened file (video mixdown in Avid) method too, with an EDL to split it up. As long as everything is on V1, the EDL will always slice the file frame accurately. I make a vision only CMX 3600 EDL and I've never had a problem with cuts in the wrong spot.

Anything from V2 or above can just be placed at the end and re-comped after the grade. Render out a flat, graded file then any shots or scenes that need grade revisions can just be re-rendered separately and cut back into the sequence in Avid. If there are lots of grade revisions, Avid's auto-sequence function will put them all in the correct spots for you.

If the edit changes, you can send the revised scene to Resolve and put it all back together in Avid. Most long-form DaVinci work in my area has been graded 'tape to tape' in the past and this workflow is still good today, as long as the cut is pretty well locked off before the grade.

It does take a little prep and planning and it's not all automatic, but at least it's guaranteed to work.

I like to roundtrip between the two as well, but if there's any trouble, this plan B workflow is a good option and doesn't seem to be too big a compromise.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]