Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: A Cautionary Tale for the FCP Switcher

COW Forums : Adobe Premiere Pro

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

John MooreRe: A Cautionary Tale for the FCP Switcher
by on May 29, 2012 at 10:16:51 am

Hi Walter,
What an experience - thank you for sharing it with us.
I have spent the last few weeks learning Avid's Media Composer 6 - concluding that the editing functionality is excellent and so finally after years I know what Avid editors were talking about.
However the main reason I got Avid was to fit into the workflow of a particular client. I was told (at the IBC at the Avid booth) that it dove-tailed nicely with DaVinci Resolve. Having made the purchase and spent valuable time sitting down and learning Media Composer I soon discovered that getting material out of Avid ain't so obvious.
Yes I had just concluded that a flat file for scene detection in DaVinci Resolve was to be the workflow. Not at all what I imagined. More than disappointing.

A great deal of honesty and an availability of clearly laid out and tested workflows should be given by all the NLE software makers. That would receive my respect and loyalty. We have had many years of products being placed on the market not functioning as they should where the client and operator has to discover that pain - it's just not helpful.
Speaking generally regarding all software my thought is that if the manufacturer is upfront and lets us knows the flaws and bugs of the product we as users will find a way around it. Not knowing and falling upon upon its fault is bad for all parties. Like in your case here Walter where your editors have received a shock and a bad taste in their mouths - resulting in them needing to work on another NLE and disassociate themselves from the pain they just endured.

Presuming that all softwares will have quirks and bugs I think it is the greatest honesty which is displayed by the NLE makers which will decide who really gets the market-place.
My 2 cents.

I appreciate greatly your blogs Walter.
Thank you
John Moore

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy