Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

@Dennis Radeke

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Todd Kopriva@Dennis Radeke
by on May 16, 2012 at 4:39:54 pm

I don't have a specific recommendation for a codec to use if you choose to transcode before editing. Personally, I do my work with native/original media files and just render preview files for the occasional places where I need to (which seldom happens).

Separate from the question of what codec to transcode with before editing is the question of what codec to use for preview files:
I use the I-Frame Only MPEG option, but any codec that is fast to decode will do.

BTW, be careful about using your preview files for final output. Your final output should be using your delivery codec and at the highest possible quality, matching your various delivery specifications. It is very rare for those to align with what makes for a good preview file, which is all about speed.

Regarding smart rendering: Don't get confused about what this is.

(Yeah, I know that we haven't helped by not describing it much yet, but that will come very soon... as soon as some specific event which I can't actually tell you about, but here's a hint: Smart rendering in an AME update wouldn't be much good if we didn't add it to Premiere Pro, too.)

Anyway, about smart rendering: It is _only_ used and useful in the case where your source format and settings are exactly the same as your delivery/output format and settings. This is a somewhat common case for many broadcasters, who deliver edited output in their camera format, but it's not common for other workflows.

Smart rendering has nothing to do with using preview files on output.

The point of smart rendering is to pass media through unmolested and without requiring re-encoding when all that you've done is make a cuts-only edit.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
product manager, professional video software
After Effects team blog
Premiere Pro team blog
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]