Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

@Adam Welsh

COW Forums : Adobe SpeedGrade

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Barend Onneweer@Adam Welsh
by on May 16, 2012 at 12:44:40 pm

Hi Adam. I find your comment has some confusing and some incorrect statements.

You are right when you say that the job of a colourist has evolved over the years with technology. You don't give any arguments for your statement that the true art of grading is diminished. I also don't see how that would be true.

What technologies from the past are you referring to that outperform todays tools in accurate colour management? In my experience todays tools offer a lot more precision, consistency and flexibility than say, 10 or 20 years ago.

Your example of the keyer baffles me. How a keyer is 'more creative' than a vector mask is beyond me. All grading applications have multiple types of keyers that are used a lot by most colourists, for secondary grading. But masks are an equally standard part of the toolset, and keyers and masks serve different purposes. Try adding a radial vignette or a gradient on a sky with a keyer.

I've never heard of the term 'real-time' in the way you describe. Color timing was another term for the photochemical process of manipulating color on film. But 'real-time' in this context can only mean instant visual feedback without prerendering to disk.

And indeed I can play back a 2k dpx sequence in Scratch with plenty of layers of grading, masks and keyers in real-time, in full resolution. Nothing rendered to disk. All the systems Dennis mentions in the article (except Smoke) can perform real-time grading in HD or 2k, if they run on sufficient hardware (usually meaning an nVidia Quadro graphics board). Only Smoke for OSX doesn't do much in real-time AFAIK.

Barend

Raamw3rk - independent colourist and visual effects artist

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]