Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Colorgrading Round-Up

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Jarle LeirpollRe: Colorgrading Round-Up
by on May 14, 2012 at 6:22:47 am

Dennis, you wrote: So SpeedGrade, no matter how good you may be, we are not likely going to play together unless I can convince our editors that we should abandon Avid for Premiere. What Avid lacks in effects, it makes up in the tools for cutting story and has no problem with massive amounts of data. It is fast and responsive to editing and takes care of things like autosaving versions when your mind is deep in the story and ignoring the computer. No such thing as working all day, forgetting to hit command S and then a crash at 4 pm takes you down. Avid solved this more than 20 years ago: it saves every autosave in an attic folder. If you accidentally delete your sequence and hit save, you've lost nothing. Could I convince our editors to switch? It could be a battle

It will probably be a battle, but people need to know the facts before they choose. Premiere Pro has always done auto-save as separate files in a separate folder. CS6 is as fast and responsive as any NLE I've tried, and the new Trim mode is even better than Avid's. And all the effects and color correction is done in 32-bit float, so the quality is superb. Being a 64-bit NLE, it also handles large projects with ease.

I do my color correction in Premiere Pro because I save so much time not having to round-trip. And there's nothing I can't do in Premiere Pro CS6 except real tracking. But manual tracking works for most of my Secondary CC work with soft masks, and I have AE (with Roto Brush, 3D tracking and Mocha) just a right-click away if I really need a tight track.

Check out my tutorial on Color Grading and Finishing in Premiere Pro CS5.5 on http://premierepro.net/.
I need to make a new tutorial. With CS6, we got Adjustment Layers too, and a revamped 3-way color corrector. You can make adjustments in real-time, while playing.

Just want people to know what their alternatives are. :-)

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]