Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

@Mike Squires

COW Forums : Event Videographers

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Dave Haynie@Mike Squires
by on Apr 25, 2012 at 8:35:19 am

While I'd like to see USB3.0 as well (it's in both of my PCs), there are some advantages to Thunderbolt. Specifically, like ePCI from which it derives, and like Firewire, Thunderbolt is multi-mastered. So the camera can just send you video, it doesn't require the PC keep asking, as USB does. Not a huge deal given all the solid-state and "PC-like" storage anyway, but it's still good.

I think Thunderbolt has a chance of succeeding where Firewire really failed. A big part of that is who's involved... Apple came up with Firewire, and did pretty much everything you don't do when you're trying to establish an industry standard. As a result, they pushed the USB folks, lead by Intel, to release USB 2.0 to solve some of the same problems.

This time, Thunderbolt is from Intel. That's good for two main reasons. One is simple: Intel builds tons of chipsets. Thunderbolt will be in all of the new "Ivy Bridge" PCs coming out, starting this Spring. And of course, everyone else building chipsets copies what Intel does. So, <>, instant standard.

The other reason is that Intel typically licenses all patents for free, and spins control of the new standard off to an independent group for management. In short, Intel just wants to sell chips, and they've figured out long ago you don't build a new standard by asking $1.00 per port (Apple's original asking price for Firewire).

-Dave

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]