Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?

COW Forums : Indie Film & Documentary

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Rob ManningRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 23, 2012 at 10:57:37 pm

Marco, great walk through.

Picking around the nitish, the D800/D4 Nikons are missing from your sensor diagram, albeit ever so slightly smaller than the MK3, also, both of these devices will record 4.2.2 uncompressed which, if one is a stills/videographer as some freelancers and company owned gear shooters in the photojournalism, ENG, documentary realm are these days, that compromise is still a given.

The effort for 2K+ files is without peer from BMD, as noted above, the Nikon/Sony/Canon cabal, will either respond or be eclipsed.

Nikon has the least to lose, no parallel or vertical marketing actuarials to protect/cannibalize and as far as DR, the MK3 is not much improved over the MK2.

The D800 sits in the MF pocket and now smokes Nikons entire line, rhetorically, some of that has to be relevant in 2MP 1080 files which drive the business even with the giant workarounds for spots (some 70% are shot on HD enabled DSLR's).

The apprehension I have in a format changeover is the glass, and waiting for adapters which accept the budget realm AI and post AI (still stellar f/1.2/.4/2/2.8) primes, zooms and Pro lens purchases since the D90 broke open the HDslr egg.

I'm bound by economics for now and for better or worse have to stick with Nikon to meld the two worlds.

Now, if my DP pal returns from shooting a RED on tour in South America and buys the BMD, that will be a good thing in the best of both worlds kind of way.

Regardless, your tome is much appreciated and illustrates a long awaited beach head for parity minded creative folks who have been shouting, stranded, after negotiating a shoal of technocratic drip, drip, drip from engineering and marketing powerhouses who just don't get it.

That is changing, thank goodness.

I could not make NAB, had a concert to shoot but the new flash I like the most is http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120415005071/en. which is the next tool to use if, one has the ball and chain of HDslr tied up in the gear locker.

Thanks!

RM

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]