Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Dave HaynieRe: Is the New Blackmagic Cinema Camera the HDSLR Killer?
by on Apr 20, 2012 at 9:12:48 pm

Yeah, really. With the smaller sensor, it's not logically a great mate to Canon lenses. Sure, they're chasing the 5D market, but they're also not a camera company. So why not launch it with a lens "interposer" module, so you could choose your mount. EF, PL, m43... there are good arguments to make here for a variety of mounts.

The need for this could vanish if the HDSLR people didn't keep playing insane games. Assuming the video quality is on par with Canon, the main reason I'd want this (and right now, I kind of do, but I'm not sure enough to buy) is the long recording time, versus the much higher prices for HSDLR-tech-camcorders from actual camcorder companies. And why? Long recording times.

That's the most annoying thing about the HDSLR world. Sure, in the early days, the recording time had to be limited due to sensor heat. I don't believe that's a real issue anymore. The excuse today is Europe -- they levy a tax on camcorders, and a camcorder is defined as a video recording device that can record over 30 minutes of video in one shot.

But guys ... I don't live in Europe. No reason you can't offer me different firmware (and yeah, there are plenty of ways to signature cameras and firmware to ensure that Europeans can't jump past this limitation). I think the real reason for this is some brokered deal between the video and still divisions of these companies. Otherwise, how does Canon get 3+x the cash for a C30 vs. a 5DmkIII.

So I love this, and the Digital Bolex, and every other company without the higher priced cinema camera line, pushing against HDSLR artificial limits using the same exact technology. Buy these, or wait for the big guys to feel the pressure, either way... we win.

-Dave

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]