Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: @Tom Daigon

COW Forums : Autodesk Smoke

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Robert BrownRe: @Tom Daigon
by on Apr 16, 2012 at 6:19:57 am

[walter biscardi] "Describe the animation capabilities...... It does everything AE does and more, but a lot faster and with true 3D elements from Maya and 3DS."

Have you ever actually tried serious text animation in Smoke? I have and I'll take AE any day of the week. And no it's not faster. Try doing something with 50 layers. Yes Smoke is cool but don't get lost in the hype. They've had 3d objects for a while now but with very limited texture control which is really important in 3d. I think it's better now but until it has a full blown texture editor you're better off using a 3d app with ray-tracing and global illumination. Also AE now has made significant improvements to it's 3d capabilities but we'll see how that is. The surfaces in Smoke are really cool though.

I'm just trying to keep it real. Smoke is great but AE ain't no slouch and Autodesk isn't going blow their doors off in every category over night. If CC and comping are big priorities Smoke is hard to beat but IMO nothing flies letters around like AE. But granted also I haven't seen the new Smoke but have years of experience on the older ones and from what I've seen 2013 is a repackaging of the modules they've had for a while.

Robert Brown
Editor/VFX/Colorist - FCP, Smoke, Quantel Pablo, After Effects, 3DS MAX, Premiere Pro

http://vimeo.com/user3987510/videos

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]