Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: NAB 2012: The Year of the Colour Grader

COW Forums : Assimilate Scratch

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Barend OnneweerRe: NAB 2012: The Year of the Colour Grader
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 7:48:53 am

Hi Dennis,

I look forward to following up on this after you've snooped around in Las Vegas.

If money was no issue, Baselight would be a top choice. But I'm not convinced the plug-in will be useful for serious grading under time-pressure. I haven't used it but I imagine having to select the clip and effect to tweak the parameters. Then select the next clip and the effect, and repeat. That would be the same as grading in FCP or Premiere right now. Except with maybe a better tool. The big advantage would be the portability of the preliminary grades done by the editor into a full Baselight setup. But if that's out of the budget, I don't see much use for the plug-in.

I have been working on Scratch for a couple of years now. I'm very happy with it, but if I was shopping around today, I'd give Resolve another close look - just because it's 'free' - or almost. That said, I tried Speedgrade a while ago and the interface wasn't for me. So even though I'll get Speedgrade with my CS6 I'm not about to ditch Scratch for it.

If Autodesk blends Lustre into Smoke - that might be the most complete NLE/grading/finishing combo, and one I'd seriously look into. But I don't see that happening, with Lustre part of Flame 2013. And I'd want to see a new MacPro or a port to Windows to get the needed power.

Anyway, it'll be fun to continue the discussion. Kind of wish I was there with you to unhinge bathroom doors and stroll the floor.

Barend

Raamw3rk - independent colourist and visual effects artist

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]