Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

@Pat DeFilippo

COW Forums : AVID

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

walter biscardi@Pat DeFilippo
by on Jan 31, 2012 at 4:31:22 pm

What's missing from the Apple updates is the "trust factor." There are features returning, though we don't know how good they really are until folks really start to hammer away at them. According to Gary Adcock Apple sent folks out to meet with editors to find out what they need to make FCP X a tool they could use, something they should have done BEFORE April of 2011.

I'm wondering who those editors are cause I know quite a few folks in LA, Chicago, LA, Miami, New York, Atlanta, San Francisco and none of them know anything about this. I'm wondering if they are the same "professionals" Apple touted as consulting prior to the original release. Evan Schechtman is the only person I know of that Apple is actually talking to, and he is a great guy to consult. But are there any feature film / documentary folks talking to them because I still don't see a great workflow for 250+ hour raw material documentaries.

Now I have not downloaded 10.0.3 yet, but I will do so soon along with the 7 to X XML tool and see what happens when I take a massive project like Foul Water Fiery Serpent and move it forward. Well actually all three projects forward because you see that's how the project is organized. We have the Capture Project, the All Tapes Project, and then the Edit Project. That was one of the beauties of FCP that we could decide on which projects to open as the editing process progress so by the time I was on the final cuts, we only had to open the Edit Project which only accesses the media required for the timeline, not the 250+ hours in the Capture Project.

I still want to see Apple add an option for Track Based editing so when we have multiple editors working on the same project, we all know what's what, particularly in the audio tracks, by simply looking at everything visually.

But honestly I know of more shops and long time editors who will not have anything to do with Apple simply because of the trust factor. They are a consumer based company first and foremost. Folks still leery to trust a company like that with their livelihood. How long until they get bored with this version of FCP and re-invent it again? :)

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
+1
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]