Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Article: Blackmagic Design’s SmartView HD Monitor & Pocket Ultrascope

COW Forums : COW - Tutorials

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Bob ZelinRe: Article: Blackmagic Design’s SmartView HD Monitor & Pocket Ultrascope
by on Jan 26, 2012 at 12:20:41 am

Hi Shaun -
it's not you - it's me. I come from a linear video background. It is inconceivable that ANYONE can work without a waveform montior and a vectorscope. But countless people do. People on these forums and ALL THE forums have only one thing in mind "what is the cheapest thing that I can do" - this is their only concern. (How come I cant record uncompressed 2K dpx files on my MacBook internal drive).

So you are surprised that people color grade on crap ? Many people simply don't color grade at all, and release for "broadcast delivery" . Nothing surprises me. Most of the outbursts you see me have on these forums is due to my frustration. When I see Blackmagic release an absolute miracle of a product for $995 (the ATEM Television Studio switcher) - at an impossible low price, and then you see the waves of complaints "how come I can't put analog audio into it - how come I need a converter" - I just want to strangle these people.
But don't worry, in a few weeks someone will ask if they can avoid buying the Sony 24" OLED monitor and instead buy the SmartView instead. And of course, the answer will be yes, because real TV shows are done on the SmartView - is it as good as the Sony OLED - of course not - but when did that matter ?

No matter what I say on these forums, I know that companies like Miranda, Harris, Evertz, Cobalt Digital and other hi end companies squirm when they see these amazing Blackmagic converters being sold for almost nothing. I know the game.

bob Zelin

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
+1
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]