Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

@Real World Editing: From Avid to FCP and Back Again

COW Forums : Business & Marketing

FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Max Prum@Real World Editing: From Avid to FCP and Back Again
by on Jan 16, 2012 at 8:17:57 pm

I haven't tried FCP X yet, but that tekserve video did open my eyes to some of the potential benefits. Overall I feel like both the "Trust in the ghost of Steve Jobs" crowd and the "Apple has forsaken us crowd" are probably overstating their cases. I use both FCP 7 and Avid at work but on my personal projects where I am generally kind of a one man band I have started using more and more Premiere because of its easy integration with After Effects.

I think its important to keep in mind that whereas the head of a production company or a post house might have to decide to commit thousands in technology from one company or another. As individual artisans/artists it is probably wisest to be familiar with a variety of different tools and not rely too heavily on a single skill set that can suddenly be phased out as a matter of corporate strategy or the result of a bend in the path of technological progress. Most of us don't run 50 or 100 seat editing houses and in a world where the majority of us are independent freelance operators or short term contract employees with little job security, the ideal situation is one in which there are a plurality of platforms that all have incentive to be cross-compatible. All of the large software companies should have to compete for our business and none of them should have what amounts to intellectual property rights to our technical skills.

I think Adobe, out of necessity, has been a lot more flexible and egalitarian than either Apple or Avid. But it is silly to anthropomorphize a corporation and become emotional either pro or con a tool. Despite what the supreme court may rule, they are not people and words like 'betrayal' and 'loyalty' have little place in the conversation.

I thought this was a very interesting article but what works best for cutting "Keeping up with the Kardashians" May have little relevance to my workflow because I am not cutting "Keeping up with the Kardashians". One tool might be best for a factory and another for a workshop and another for a different workshop or a different job at the same shop.

My point is we have to make sure we can freely define our tool set and don't become defined by our tools.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
+1
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]