Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: @Real World Editing: From Avid to FCP and Back Again

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

David Roth WeissRe: @Real World Editing: From Avid to FCP and Back Again
by on Jan 16, 2012 at 6:22:33 pm

[Daniel Frome] "this was VERY surprising news and certainly for broadcast guys like me it was an important item. NOT sensationalism."

Actually Daniel, though your conclusions are spot-on, this news is hardly surprising. For months I've been saying right here that Los Angeles would soon be "all Avid, all the time." And, that was not just my opinion, it was based on innumerable discussions with editors and post-production managers and executives who know what they're talking about.

In a situation such as the one Apple created, forcing every user of their legacy software to retool and retrain, the big players have to adapt, because there's a lot a stake, with big money riding on a seamless transition that has to work right out of the box.

Enterprise level customers such as Bunim Murray have hard deadlines and delivery schedules projected well out into the future, requiring near military precision. Logistics on such a large scale can't be based on promises and untested technology. And so, at this point, Avid really is the only fully scalable enterprise-level solution currently available for shared work environments.

Bunim/Murray's move represents just the tip of the iceberg, and you'll see virtually the entire L.A. ecosystem moving in the direction of Avid over the next year. You can expect to see Avid doing huge business at NAB 2012, and this should come as no surprise to anyone.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
+1
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]