Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Real World Editing: From Avid to FCP and Back Again

COW Forums : COW - Tutorials

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Tim WilsonRe: Real World Editing: From Avid to FCP and Back Again
by on Jan 14, 2012 at 7:21:10 pm

[tony west] "Did they have the choice of just waiting a few months?

What's the hurry?"

As the Editor-in-Chief of Creative COW Magazine, I asked Mark this very question.

He pointed out that it wasn't in a hurry at all. The decision has been almost an entire year in the making, going back to when he first saw X in February 2011.

The additional factor isn't just the specifics of what's in and not in FCPX. It's what that release told him about Apple.

First, he says, even though we see that Apple is indeed adding the features they said they would, we don't feel like Apple's view of the future is compatible with ours.

For me, that's one of his most important points. He agrees that Apple is following through on their post-NAB promises! That's not the issue. The issue is that, we (meaning us, not BMP specifically) have been waiting for forever for Apple to give us their roadmap, and well, now they have.

Which leads to the second dynamic that Mark identified, that it's a different Avid than it used to be.

That also struck me as one of his most important points. I didn't go this far in my questions to him, but I'm willing to bet that, without a new Avid, the post-FCPX evaluation would have been far different.

I didn't ask, because that's purely speculative of course. The fact is that BMP found that it IS a new Avid, and that the new Avid lines up nicely with what BMP sees in its own future.

Your mileage will vary, but Mark is very articulate about reasons for all this.

So again, the evaluation of both products and VENDOR PARTNERS to go forward with? Done in nothing resembling a hurry. It was a well-considered decision over the course of a year of constant evaluation, by somebody whose JOB is constant evaluation in the service of making these very kinds of decisions.

As an additional editor's note, I loved working with Mark on this. He's been around the COW since 2003, and I've always enjoyed his positive outlook, his generosity across multiple forums, his professionalism, and how well he articulates his passions. He's also got a great sense of humor. We laughed a lot while we were talking about this stuff, and it was never at anybody else's expense.

(Laughing, but not laughing AT somebody? As a New Yorker, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this, and am not sure how I feel about it.)

Speaking as a reader of the Creative COW Magazine in both its print and online editions, I have to say I really enjoyed reading this. Great insights into a company that really has been at the cutting of edge of a lot of things for a very long time.

Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]