Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Article: Real World Editing: From Avid to FCP and Back Again

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andy NeilRe: Article: Real World Editing: From Avid to FCP and Back Again
by on Jan 14, 2012 at 5:49:39 pm

[Andy Field]"I went to NAB in 2000 with a large bank loan to buy an AVID starting my own company - it was the year Apple had FCP 1 on the show floor - I sat at their booth all day using it and couldn't believe it did nearly everything I needed (remember DV was THE format for independent companies back then) for a 1000.00 AVID lost me at hello on price."

What's telling about your story is that other, established post facilities were also at NAB that year. They looked at FCP 1 and saw it as a joke. It continued to be an industry joke for years because it didn't support video out except through FireWire, it didn't have more than two channels of audio input or output, and it had no multi-cam. It was not right for any but specific workflows (like yours I guess). Now, you are on the other side of that story. FCP X is not right for your workflow (I guess)), but it is for some.

I don't like a piece of software for it's "complexity". I like it for how well it helps me do my job. I don't have a problem creating the same kinds of stories in X as I do in 7, or in Avid for that matter. Sometimes X is faster and better than the alternatives, sometimes not.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]