Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

@george manzanilla

COW Forums : Creative COW Magazine feedback

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Sean Mullen@george manzanilla
by on Oct 17, 2011 at 9:32:07 pm

@George - I see where you are coming from, it's not that it can't be done digitally, you're saying it's more organic when done on film. I dig where you are coming from.

Hand cranking is a great technique, but I've done that with a Red MX camera as well, not in post but in-camera. I've also done re-timing in AE which can come out with an organic feel if you have an artist who gets your vibe.

I completely understand the need to grunge up footage, that's the #1 request from my clients across the board. I've even gone as far as painting on actual film. But I have found that most of my clients (many on the national level) have a very difficult time telling the difference between elements I've shot on film and ones that I've manipulated or generated. When the shot is finished they are simply happy to have the grunged up look. Yes, there are some really cheesy filters out there, but that's not what I'm talking about. I have literally hundreds of hours of scanned and generated film elements that I mix and match all the time.

The majority of the projects I've been on lately are behind schedule, budget and due yesterday. They want the amazing look of 8 or 16 but want it now. I've shot snowboarding events on Super8 and it looks awesome. But I've also shot the same production the following year with a series of digital cameras and was able to have it match the film quite well.

It's really all a matter of taste, I hate the thought of film disappearing - I can remember watching my first VFX dailies on film. But I also have to say there is something cool with being able to shoot and manipulate 4k footage immediately, and it looks stunning on the big screen.

Sean Mullen
Rampant Design Tools

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]