Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Tutorial: GET READY TO RUMBLE: Perfect setup for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro basics

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

tad newberryRe: Tutorial: GET READY TO RUMBLE: Perfect setup for a seamless transition to FCP X and OS X Lion
by on Jun 15, 2011 at 7:10:59 am

Again, great stuff, Sir Weiss. As from my other thread on doing my annual system overhaul/OS reinstall, etc., i have now a few lingering questions*** :

1) System drive: i read somewhere here that people were advising to have the system drive on a RAID for speed/redundancy, though i've always just had mine on a single drive, like you are doing in the tutorial video. Any need for a RAID for the system drive?

2) Project files on system drive? I also read somewhere here that someone was advising to put the project files (FCP, Motion, etc.) on the system drive, though this seems unlikely since you are putting three OS's and three FCPs on a 500GB drive;

3) Media drive: RAID seems optimum here...do any of you ever put project files here, or ONLY QT files, images, all sounds (iTunes library?) needed for FCP, Motion, et. all. projects?

4) additional (external) RAID: i'm thinking of adding an additional RAID setup externally. I suppose I'll need an additional card for this, but it seems it would be good to have another RAID for other projects...i dunno...getting sleepy. Must go to bed...

***my current set-up, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66 GHz (4 drive bays):
Bay 1: 600 GB system drive...now actually almost full (iTunes is almost 200 GB!), and wondering how you got THREE partitions out of a 500GB drive for three OS's and three FCS/P's...

- this drive is set to back up weekly (via Carbon Copy Cloner) to an external USB drive.

Bay 2: 1.5 TB drive Project Files: all my FCP, Motion, DVD Studio project files and other odds and ends. Some images and QT files, though i'm trying to keep them all on the next puppy...

- this drive is set to back up daily (via Carbon Copy Cloner) to an external USB drive.

Bay 3 & 4: RAIDed together, 3 TB total Media Drives: all my Pro Res files and other QT files for projects

- this RAID has no backup schedule

thanks for helping out a bonehead!

FCS3
2.66 GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro
6GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
...and a few TeraBytes o' storage
(then it's on to PetaBytes, ExaBytes and MosquitoBytes!)

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]