Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Inexpensive archiving for tapeless media

COW Forums : TV & Movie Appreciation

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Eric SuschRe: Inexpensive archiving for tapeless media
by on May 31, 2011 at 9:42:16 pm

[Andrew Richards] "This thread is discussing archiving, and your past experiences are with backup on obsolete formats"

I appreciate your response Andy. I should say, however, that AIT and DDS-2 weren't obsolete when I was using them. They were state of the art at the time.

[Andrew Richards] "HDDs have motors and bearings that will seize if not used regularly. That's why you will see many posts on these forums from people archiving to bare HDDs explaining that they spin them up avery few months just to make sure they still work."

Is this hard drive seizing from disuse really a problem? How much of a problem is it? Is it more common than a tape failure? Yes, hard drives fail. In my experience they fail most commonly from manufacture's defect or from heat. I've never seen or even heard of a hard drive failing from just sitting on a shelf and not being used. (Yes, people fear it and take steps to prevent it but that doesn't make it so.) If a hard drive is not being used doesn't that mean there is LESS wear and tear on the mechanism? ...Therefore the drive should last LONGER right? That's logical but it's still just guessing. I don't think anybody has any hard data on this issue. Certainly not enough to use it as the sole reason to use tape over hard drives for backup.

I think we all have an intrinsic fear of hard drive failure (I know I do) because it's happened to all of us. I think that is what is driving the conventional wisdom that tape is more reliable than hard drives, not facts.

Follow me on twitter @EricSusch

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]