Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: Inexpensive archiving for tapeless media

COW Forums : Indie Film & Documentary

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Andrew RichardsRe: Inexpensive archiving for tapeless media
by on May 26, 2011 at 10:12:59 pm

[Eric Susch] "Do we know for sure that computer tape is more reliable than hard drives? I have to say, I was backing up to DDS-2 and AIT for years and I abandoned the practice because it was too slow, too labor intensive, and the tapes failed sometimes anyway. I've actually had more tape failures than hard drive failures so I'm not convinced about the superior reliability of tape. Anyone have hard evidence?"

Depends on what your criteria is for "reliable". This thread is discussing archiving, and your past experiences are with backup on obsolete formats. Tape is ideal for writing to and setting aside most of the time, disk is ideal for always-on applications. If you want storage you can reliably set on a shelf for years and still successfully access later, tape is intrinsically superior. HDDs have motors and bearings that will seize if not used regularly. That's why you will see many posts on these forums from people archiving to bare HDDs explaining that they spin them up avery few months just to make sure they still work. Tape is designed for archive duty, and LTO in particular is very sturdy. I can only speak from personal experience, and the 800+ tape LTO-3 archive I built for my old job is still restoring data from 2006 regularly and uneventfully.

Best,
Andy Richards

VP of Product Development
Keeper Technology

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy