Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Better is definitely subjective

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

James HoukBetter is definitely subjective
by on Mar 17, 2010 at 11:10:44 am

I concur with Alister here. And the shallow focus of the 5D can be accomplished on the EX as well, with a DOF adapter. In many cases this combination is actually superior to the 5D - better audio, higher dynamic range, no aliasing, and a rock solid recording codec. Where the EX1 and a DOF adapter fall short is in low light situations. For a video camera the EX1 has exceptional low light capabilities, but it simply can't compare the the 35mm sensor on the 5D. The EX1 is also very bulky (when used with a DOF adapter) compared to the 5D, and this can be annoying in tight spaces. Also, the EX1 is far more flexible than the 5D. For people doing narrative work where each shot can be composed and focus marks made, the 5D is fine, but if you do ENG or reality style shooting, the 5D's shallow focus can quickly become a liability. While I enjoy doing narrative work, and have served as a DP on three small feature films (HD Video), a large percentage of my paying work is not narrative. I shoot reality, documentary, and EPK footage where I don't have total control of the environment or timing of events. The EX1 allows me to get the shot quickly, and - if desired - to keep everything in focus at the same time. As for the issue of cost of shooting - the P2 camera media is expensive. But the adapters for the EX series camera mean you can shoot on inexpensive SDHC cards, and log them like tapes if desired. This means you won't pay more to shoot with the EX than with the Canon 5D. Granted - the cost of acquisition may be higher with the EX - but depending on what primes you decide to buy for the 5D, you could come out about the same. As Alister said, it's about picking the right tool for the job. I'm considering adding a 5D to my camera lineup because of it's low light capabilities, and it's flexibility to go unnoticed in places where professional video cameras are unobtrusive. But I won't stop using my EX1 anytime soon.

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]