Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

I ran across this thread when

COW Forums : AJA Kona - PC

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Brian RothI ran across this thread when
by on Oct 3, 2009 at 9:05:44 pm

I ran across this thread when researching a problem I encountered with the Aja GEN10. The system in question is a new, small-ish studio that produces a live, 1 hour daily news magazine that is streamed on the net and simulcast on Cox cable in their Oklahoma markets. The majority of the plant is 1080i (with Aja FS-1 "Swiss Army Knife" boxes to input/output from/to some legacy analog equipment that was recycled from the older analog facility).

The bulk of the equipment requires tri-level sync, but there are some units that require blackburst. Hence, the GEN10 appeared to be an inexpensive answer for all "house sync" requirements.

In addition to new HD cameras on floor pedestals, we included a pair of Panasonic AW-HE100 cameras mounted from the lighting grid to supply wide shots, etc. The HE100's are self-contained "robo cams" (with remote controlled pan/tilt/zoom/focus) which come standard with analog outputs, BUT have an optional 1080i output module which we purchased for each cam.

The HE100's require blackburst sync.

When we heated up the new system earlier this week, we were stunned to see that the HE100's were vertically offset about 1/3 of a frame. IOW, the image from those cams...while horizontally synced...was almost split in half with a black bar in the "middle".

I connected my dual trace Tek scope to the outputs of the trilevel DAs and the blackburst DAs, and after some fiddling with triggering, etc. observed the vertical sync "retrace" "blanking" pulses were indeed offset between the trilevel and blackburst signals.

Thinking that we had a defective GEN10, we contacted Aja tech support. They checked with Engineering, and reported back that the trilevel and blackburst outputs ARE NOT VERTICALLY TIMED with each other!!!!

We did a quick "search and scramble" and overnighted:

DV-321 Genlockable HD/SD Sync Generator

Functionally the same as a GEN10, but with Genlock input...which I wanted from the beginning "just in case" for some odd-ball future requirement. ESE also has:

DV-319 HD/SD Sync Generator

...wiithout genlock.

Sync problem solved for a few more bucks!

I am annoyed that Aja makes NO mention of the non-timed Vertical in any of their GEN10 sales docs, nor in the tech/install manual. Live And Learn! That said, I generally like Aja products.

Bri

PS...last year I discovered that the analog outputs of the Aja FS-1 units we bought for another project had a volt or so of DC offset; that caused some problems with devices which had DC coupled inputs....."blown out" analog video. I fixed that problem by installing a low impedance 1000 microfarad capacitor in-line. Aja tech support is aware of that problem, and it may be fixed by now.

I still like Aja....
brianroth is offline Reply With Quote

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]