Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: The Art of Editing: Sometimes we worry too much about technical things.

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Mike CohenRe: The Art of Editing: Sometimes we worry too much about technical things.
by on Jul 21, 2010 at 11:36:47 pm

just the other day I had a client in my office for an edit session. Over lunch she asked "did it take you long to learn this software?" I replied "the software should be invisible to the process of editing - and every 5 years it is guaranteed to change - but the craft that you are paying us for - that is the constant."

Unmotivated edits seem like all the rage nowadays, or too much editing. Someone mentioned Paul Greengrass - the guy makes every punch in a fight scene a cut - sure you feel like you are in the fight but I think you lose sight of the story because you are forced to try to mentally process all the rapid fire information - it just becomes a blur.

Saw Inception over the weekend - this movie makes good use of editing to help tell the story. Perhaps there are some wacky visuals that remind you that it is a special effect, but the way they are incorporated are to feed the story, not to call attention to themselves, once you understand what you are watching (for the most part).

This thread could become a forum of its own - well done Jerry.

Mike Cohen

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]