Creative COW SIGN IN :: SPONSORS :: ADVERTISING :: ABOUT US :: CONTACT US :: FAQ
Creative COW's LinkedIn GroupCreative COW's Facebook PageCreative COW on TwitterCreative COW's Google+ PageCreative COW on YouTube
FORUMS:listlist (w/ descriptions)archivetagssearchhall of famerecent posts

Re: The Art of Editing: Sometimes we worry too much about technical things.

COW Forums : Art of the Edit

VIEW ALL   •   ADD A NEW POST   •   PRINT
Share on Facebook
Respond to this post   •   Return to posts index   •   Read entire thread

Charles MercerRe: The Art of Editing: Sometimes we worry too much about technical things.
by on Jul 21, 2010 at 10:11:00 am

Interesting comments all round and good to see lively debate in our industry. I’m of a certain age and a fan of David Lean, Ridley Scott and Casablanca, and I’m not too happy with the modern MTV editing styles referred to in the thread. I’m not saying I don’t use the chops when I feel that’s what the audience wants.
But as an aside, a lot of output on the BBC recently has the heavy hand of Final Cut written all over it. There isn’t a shot without a filter (that wasn’t on the camera) and, in particular, heavily burnt in corners are so common they have lost their dramatic impact.
The irony is that, in still photography, if you bought a wide-angle lens that vignetted the way these ubiquitous shots are presented, you would take it back to the store. Let’s hope it’s a phase that will pass quickly and we can get away from looking up people’s noses or into their ears (as if the camera man is as bored as we are and looking for inspiration) and return to concentrating on the story line. Good editing puts us inside the story and we don’t realise we have stepped out of our own reality, and we don’t notice the camera angles. If it's called an old style, I would be happy to see it come back.

Charles Mercer
Pearldrop Video Productions

Posts IndexRead Thread
Reply   Like  
Share on Facebook

Current Message Thread:

LOGIN TO REPLY

FORUMSTUTORIALSFEATURESVIDEOSPODCASTSEVENTSSERVICESNEWSLETTERNEWSBLOGS

Creative COW LinkedIn Group Creative COW Facebook Page Creative COW on Twitter
© 2014 CreativeCOW.net All rights are reserved. - Privacy Policy

[Top]